Get festive this winter with a Christmas in July camping trip! Milsons Camp host in Wollombi, NSW has teamed up with the crew from @aussie_bush_camping for a special Christmas in July event from 24-26th July 2020. Bookings open!
There will be glorious campfire food, wine tasting, Secret Santa fun and more. To prepare your tastebuds (and belt buckles), check out these three wicked campfire recipes from the guys at Aussie Bush Camping, John and Jon, and Milson’s Camp host Nat.
Milsons Pulled Pork
“I’m always on the lookout for a beautiful pork loin or shoulder for my camp oven. This should do 6 to 8 hungry campers.” Nat, Host of Milson’s Camp
2.5kg pork loin – skin removed and a bit of fat trimming500ml stock of choice
Garlic – smashed
2 brown onions – sliced
2 apples – chopped
Apple cider – bottle or 2
Stagg Chili – 1 or 2 cans
Stubbs BBQ sauce smokey mesquite – it’s real good
Milsons secret meat rub – salt, pepper, brown sugar, sugar, garlic granules, smoked paprika, Cayenne pepper and a few other little spices
Yellow mustard – if you want
- Grab your favourite knife. Cut pork into big chunks.
- Rub meat – can use mustard first.
- Add onions, garlic, stock and tomatoes into the camp oven.
- Add meat, apples and Stagg Chili
- Add a good dollop of Stubbs
- Fill ¾ up with cider – keep some cider to add after a couple of hours.
- This is a 3-4 hour slow cook with coals top & bottom
- You know it’s ready when it smells amazing and meat pulls apart.
Serve with roasted potatoes & corn
Australian Camping Alliance Porchetta
Easy, mouther-watering porchetta that will fuel the troops.
- Get a great quality porchetta.
- Pat dry and rub sea salt over the whole porchetta. Leave uncovered in fridge for 24hrs
- Wash off the salt and pat dry really well with paper towel. Add a very light drizzle of olive oil, season with salt and pepper.
- On a rotisserie over good gidgee charcoal (I like pit brothers) get crackle to desired texture. Low to flame and hot.
- Raise to a reasonable cooking height until the porchetta is cooked through.
Recipe by John Abberton from @australiancampingalliance
The deliciously dangerous combination of two childhood camping classics; S’mores and Damper. TIP: Have some chocolate and marshmallows spare for snacking as you prep!
500g self raising flour
300mls pouring cream
Milk (if needed)
100g soft brown sugar
Block of dairy milk large bar
- Rub the butter into the flour till a sandy texture, add the sugar & add 3/4 of the chocolate chunks and 3/4 of the marshmallows.
- Add the cream and mix to a firm cake mix. If it’s to dry add a little milk. Add remaining chocolate and marshmallows pressed into the top for garnish.
- Line a greased cake tin and line with greaseproof paper. Place on a trivet inside a camp oven and place in the edge of the fire with a shovel of coals on. Rotate the camp oven every 10 minutes a half turn.
- Cook for around 40-50 minutes. If the top starts to cook too much pull off a few coals.
- To check if it’s cooked slide a knife into the middle, if it comes out clean it’s cooked.
- Serve it with a dollop of double cream.
Recipe by Jon Riley @the_gourmet_camp_chef
To find out more about the Christmas in July at Milson’s Camp event, visit their event page.
Book on Youcamp at Milsons Camp, a campsite set on a beautiful billabong by the Wollombi creek. Originally selected by James Milson in 1823, it is now a working farm & vineyard, with cellar door & functions area in the village.
Disclaimer: This is not a Youcamp event. It is an independent event run by Aussie Bush Camping, in partnership with Milson’s Camp.